Wednesday, July 28, 2010

What the Neighbors are Up To

I am so happy that the Artful Quilters Blog Ring is back up and working (well, with a few glitches, but that's to be expected).  Thanks to everyone who has moved over.  I hope you will take time to hit "next," "previous" or best of all "random" from time to time to see whose blog pops up. It's a great way to meet art quilters you didn't know, or to rediscover a blog you've not visited in a while. 

So, I've been visiting blogs on the ring and I've made some amazing discoveries.

I learned from Deirdre that you can cut up aluminum soda cans, flatten them, and put them through an inkjet printer.  Follow Deirdre's links to the YouTube videos showing how it's done.  I had no idea that was even possible.

On Wen's blog, I was reminded of the League of New Hampshire Craftsmen fair coming up in early August.  I loved that fair when I lived in NH, and sure wish I could go again.  If you are in New England it really is worth the trip -- and stop in to Wen's booth and say hi!

I saw that ClevelandGirlie Cathie is dying fabric using avocado skins, and getting PINK fabric.  Who knew?!  I'd never have guessed, but I think it's worth eating some extra guacamole for experimenting!  

I learned from Karen that the Patchwork Times website runs a "what's on your design wall" list every Monday, where quilters show what's up on their walls and you can click from one convenient site to see what various people are working on.  And check out Karen's wonderful cow in progress!

Claire is showing how using a paper mock-up is helping her make composition decisions on a large scale quilt.  Very helpful to see this.

Who knows what I'll discover next...

1 comment:

Gerrie said...

I love that it is working again, too. When I get bored, it brings a bit of joy and creativity into my day.