Sunday, December 19, 2004

Art quilt for Elaine

I thought when I started this, that the blog would primarily reflect my quilting process. Unfortunately, that isn't at all how this is going...which, in fact, reflects how my life isn't involving any quilting at the moment. There are just too many other things to do. Well, that's okay...I enjoy Christmastime so much that I can't begrudge the other fun things I'm not doing.

I just sent this small art quilt off to my friend Elaine as a Christmas gift. Elaine is a talented artist, book maker and printer who always inspires me. She runs Blue Chair Press , her very cool printing and art studio. Several of my favorite art pieces in our home are made by Elaine--a great print set with large type that says "I get by with a little help from my friends," a wonderful art doll (Hilda Haagen-daaz) who looks over me as I sit at my computer and work, some framed artist stamps in my bathroom. So, I'm sharing some of my art with her. I havn't even told her about this blog and tucked a note in with the gift so she won't read about her gift until she's already received it. Hee hee!


Sunrise Hilltop, for Elaine

I met Elaine when I was involved in a 3-year intensive book arts course with my dear friend Shereen LaPlantz. Shereen was an amazing art teacher and mentor, and I miss her dearly. She died in September, 2003 after a long battle with cancer. Going up to Eureka (a 4 hour drive away from home for me) twice a year to spend a luxurious 4 days immersed in art, paper, and books was such a treat. And after meeting Elaine on the first workshop weekend, I always visited and hung out with her because we just hit it off. Oh, how I wish we lived closer.... I'd probably still be making books, and she'd be making quilts by now!

No comments :

Post a Comment