Friday, June 17, 2005

Distractions, and other distractions

I think I'm just going to have to accept that I don't get as much art done during the summer.

Caroline and Roger are both home from school, so it means that my day is spent playing with Caroline, arranging playdates for Caroline, taking her to and from stuff, and just doing nice family stuff with both Caroline and Roger. That's lovely, of course. But instead of grabbing a quick sandwich and eating while I read blogs on the AQ ring, now I'm making lunch for three and having a sit down family chat lunch.

Plus, a new puppy in the house is a huge distraction. I'm making sure she's tired and happy and we're doing regular walks and play sessions...Hugely entertaining, but not conducive to long hours in my studio.

June 30 is the end of my bar association's fiscal year, which means I need to finish my continuing legal education requirement by then. So, I've arranged to do two online seminars, which stream over my computer. Last night I was able to sew a bit while listening, but they do make you get up every 15 minutes or so and click a button to continue--thus ensuring, I suppose, that you don't just put the thing on and go to bed and get credit for material you never heard or saw.

Hmm, maybe this would be a good time to put the sewing machine on the dining room table...

On another note, I attended the lecture given by Phil Beaver at my local quilt guild. His website is interesting but his quilts in photos leave me cold. Seeing them in person was something else entirely--rich detail, gorgeous stitching, and accomplished technique. He was also a very entertaining speaker. So, I'm glad I went and came away inspired. He talks a lot about using what's around you to inspire you...He lives in Indiana and showed how he translates the things he loves about his home into art. While I do appreciate the beauty of where I live, hearing him made me see things in a new light. I'm going to have to start taking my camera with me when I take Gemma for a walk.

No comments :

Post a Comment