Saturday, September 17, 2005

Magazines, quilty and otherwise

I was thinking this morning, as I was tidying the bedroom and pulling magazines off of the nightstand, about how much I enjoy reading magazines and whether the assortment of magazines I subscribe to reflects a lot or a little about me. It probably says more than I'd like it to!

So, I thought I'd throw out this question to y'all:

What magazines do you subscribe to, and why? (Not just READ, mind you, but actually pay money to get delivered to you every month?)

Here's what comes to my house:

The New Yorker - I love the insightful commentaries on news, political and legal events (I adore Jeffrey Toobin), I'm amused by the cartoons, and I can't miss Anthony Lane's movie reviews

Quilting Arts -- Inspiration, ideas... Sometimes I'm disappointed that so much of the art in it looks the same, but still, it's the only art quilt magazine I know of. These, I save.

Mary Engelbreit's Home Companion - I love riotous color, and love to see artist homes and gardens. The photos always make me happy.

Cottage Living - I aspire to this sort of home, a comfy cottagey house with a country garden.

TV Guide - Because how else would I know what good stuff is coming up?

Mental Floss - This is our first year with this odd little magazine, sort of a mix of information and humor and trivia. Caroline even likes this.

Quilter's Newsletter - It covers the whole quilt spectrum. I enjoy it but read it pretty quickly. (And no, I don't save them. I tear out stuff that might inspire me for my "quilt ideas" file and then toss them.)

Cooking Light - Good recipes, helpful for making me cook more healthfully.

Food and Wine - We don't know why we get this -- we never subscribed and if it's a gift we have no idea who it's from. I skim through it.

People - Because it's a great guilty pleasure, a total escape. And I don't want to be one of those middle aged people who doesn't know who Coldplay is.

What comes to yours?

2 comments :

  1. Anonymous2:05 AM

    None. But that's only because I like the (albeit more expensive) treat of going to the book store and buying them, based on what's inside. Frequent purchases include Quilting Arts (depending), Quilter's Newsletter, Spin-Off (for handspinners), Handwoven, Interweave Knits, and Cook's magazine. Occasionally, I'll pick up Runner's World (if I'm feeling virtuous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stopped subscribing to magazines because they more often than not arrived mangled. But, here's what I always pick up from Barnes & Noble on a regular basis: Art Doll Quarterly, Fiberart, Ornament, Rubberstampmadness, The Craft Report, Zink, Bead and Button, Beadwork, Bead Unique, Surface Design, Somerset Studio, Belle Armoire, Expressions, Quilting Arts, & Raw Vision. Once in a while I'll pick up ArtForum & Art News.

    ReplyDelete