Thursday, October 20, 2005

Read this book...

I am just back from a lovely quilt retreat, and as soon as I unpack all my stuff and transfer photos from camera to computer, I will tell you more about it. But in the meantime, I want to recommend an absolutely amazing book that you will surely want to read.

It's called "gods in Alabama" by Joshilyn Jackson. Here's one of the opening paragraphs:

"I made a deal with God two years before I left [Alabama]. At the time, I thought He made out pretty well. I offered Him a three-for-one deal: All He had to do was perform a miracle. He fulfilled His end of the bargain, so I kept my three promises faithfully, no matter what the cost. I held our deal as sacred for twelve solid years. But that was before God let Rose Mae Lolly show up on my doorstep, dragging my ghosts and her own considerable baggage with her."

It's hard to know how to describe this novel. It's amazingly well-written, with wise-cracking humor and charming descriptions of crazy Southern folks, a southern girl's perspective from life in the north. It's absorbing drama, and a plot with a some surprising turns.

Really, this book will delight and engross you, and keep you thinking after you put it down. It wouldn't surprise me if this ended up as an Oprah pick (and I mean that in a good way).

What's more, you can get a taste of Joshilyn Jackson's writing on her blog Faster than Kudzu, which is wonderful fun reading.

I'm not kidding. Go find this book and read it.

1 comment :

  1. Oh Good!! I put this book on my library reserve list.. and can finally pick it up tomorrow!! I've been waiting to read it.

    ReplyDelete