Saturday, December 03, 2005

Christmas Candy

I'm not sure why, but I'm in that mood again where I want to sew but don't want to think about it. And making art quilts is, for me, a thoughtful process. It requires looking and deciding what comes next and evaluating every step of the way. I love that process, but sometimes I'm just not in the mood.

And, since that's where I am now, I jumped in and started with my red/green Christmas-colors-but-not-Christmas-print fabrics. I settled on a block that just looked happy and fun to me, like a piece of candy. So I made this:



And next thing you know, there was this:



And pretty soon, I got all the way to this:



It's a happy holiday quilt for the couch in the family room. So today I'm piecing the back and hopefully will get it sandwiched so I can start quilting.

Not surprisingly, due to my tendency to buy more fabric than I need for any one project, I had leftovers of all of these fabrics...So different blocks are under way for another one. Very fun, very happy, and very mindless.

Fa la la la la...

9 comments:

Gerrie said...

Oh! I really, really like this!! Christmasy, but not overtly so!

Mrs. Mel said...

Christmas Candy is the perfect title. I want one!!
O the word verification was so funny today:Nukzerm.

Jan said...

I love this quilt, Diane! Christmas-y but fresh!

Deborah said...

Love it all, but especially the stripe and dot borders! Wonderful.

Scrapmaker said...

I love them ! Cheery and perfect for the season.
I also like making quilts like this. It is relaxing and satisfying in a completely different way than art. Jen

Amanda said...

So cheery and merry! I love it.

Lisa D. said...

I love your Christmas Candy quilt - the striped inner board is so fun. Great job!

Brenda Smith said...

Diane

Like Deborah, I love the stripes and dots. I think it reallu adds to the Christmas candy effect. And you've inspired my hand piecing project for while I am travelling in America for Christmas.

Hope to visit with you in person soon. Kind regards
Brenda Smith

Brit said...

That pattern is awesome! Where di dyou find it? And wow what a sensational quilt top! I love it.