Tuesday, August 09, 2011

To Festival of Quilts, hurrah, hurray

At some point, probably once I am back home in California, I will get a chance to catch my breath and calmly summarize all of the wonderful things I have been doing here in England. But that time is not now, because I am headed down to Birmingham where I will be at Festival of Quilts.

This is down right exciting for a host of reasons. First, all 144 of the original Twelve by Twelve quilts will be on exhibit there. Seeing them online is very nice indeed ( if I do say so myself) but is nothing compared to seeing them in person. So if you are in the vicinity, do pop in.

Second, I will be there with two other Twelves, Helen and Françoise. I have not met Françoise in person before so that will be a highlight of the trip for me. And we will be hanging out at our stall at the show to meet people and sign books. How fun will that be?!

But wait, there is more! I will get to meet, finally, my City and Guilds tutor Edwina MacKinnon. She has been a lovely and encouraging tutor by email and I am enamored of the work she shows on her blog. So that will be quite nice.

I have tickets to several talks which promise to be interesting and inspirational. One is by Kaffe Fassett and Brandon Mably about working in Kaffe's studio.

Another is by my idols Linda and Laura Kemshall, who will talk about their creative process.

And another is by textile artist Fiona Wilson, whose work mesmerizes me. Helen and I happened on one of her quilts in an exhibit at the Quilt Museum in York last week, and I could have stood there all day gazing at it.

Oh, and there's a quilt show going on the whole time too. So that means lots of quilts to look at and vendors' stalls to visit.

And all of that fun goes on for FOUR WHOLE DAYS.

After that, I will spend a day in court with the Honorable District Judge Helen Conway which, for an American lawyer like me is no small thrill.

Then, I shall drop into my seat on an airplane with happy exhaustion and head for home. So if you don't hear from me for a bit, you will understand why.

5 comments :

  1. Wow, that sounds like some busy but lovely schedule! Enjoy the festival!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the lovely comment. Looking forward to meeting you at the Festival.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous! Having just returned from an invigorating week-long artist's play date with like-minded girlfriends, I can completely relate to the amazing time you must be having. I can't wait to hear all about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Color me green with envy. Pretty please with butter ontop, give the Kemshall's a hug from me. Their DMTV keeps me inspired every week. Then to meet Edwina, oh my, I am beginning to swoon! LOL! Seriously, have a wonderful time and I look forward to your trip report. (A quote from my husband when we travel: if you see something you love, buy it, we may never get back here again. So shop til you drop!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything you are doing sounds wonderful. What a thrill!

    ReplyDelete