Sunday, September 11, 2011

Blocks of love


I've been making quilt blocks this week for a commissioned quilt. Well, maybe that's a stretch.  My daughter is the client, and she had very specific requests for a new quilt for her bed.  In fact, when we first started talking about what sort of quilt she wanted, her descriptions were so specific that we got onto Equilter.com and she chose the fabric, she sketched out for me how she envisioned it going to gether, and then we laid it out on Electric Quilt software so I could make sure that she was going to like the look of what she was describing.

I do love technology. 

I have to confess that before I started sewing these, I had a general reluctance about it.  I returned from Festival of Quilts with so many ideas in my head that I want to explore -- but I felt that I had to get this done before I can explore any of those.  This just didn't feel like any reflection of my own creativity.

But I started cutting and sewing, and at some point it dawned on me that I was really enjoying it.  I was thinking about Miss C, and how much fun it had been to see her choose fabrics, and how excited she was about seeing what she envisioned become real.  And so even while this isn't reflective of MY creativity exactly, it's reflecting hers, and that makes me quite happy. 

So this has really become a labor of love.  Funny how easy it is to lose sight of the joy of doing something for someone you love.

2 comments :

  1. I always drag my feet about doing a traditional quilt, but once I start I love the rhythm of it. Hope you will show us the finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with Gerrie, I find it hard to get into traditional quilts, but I keep saying yes - only I have learnt not to say when. I love the kitty cats. Cute

    ReplyDelete