Monday, January 10, 2005

Instant Gratification does not always pay off

So. When I went to bed last night, I had my wedding ring variation quilt on the design wall, with a layout I really like. (I think I"m going to call it "Variation of a Variation," but we'll see.) I concluded I needed a bit more of a lovely, mellow aqua dot fabric to complete my vision, and I was pretty sure I'd bought it at Pumpkinseed Quilts. So, I figured that a trip there today was in order.

But when I woke up this morning, my vision had changed. Instead of using the aqua dot fabric, I decided to piece the bits where I was going to put the dots. Which meant that I didn't need to buy more fabric. (That's one of those thoughts that is sort of a relief and a disappointment, all at the same time.)

I started cutting triangles, and put them up on the wall. I liked it very much. I thought I'd sew a few while Simply Quilts was on. Hmmm, very nice. In fact, I was having such a fine time that I sewed all the way through Eleanor Burns' show, and I can't stand her. (Do you think she talks that way ALL the time? How does she sound when she's cranky, do you think?)

So, no need to drive to Pumpkinseed. But I realized I did need to head south in that direction to do some post-Christmas returns (clothes that Princess Caroline found too scratchy) and to trade the two damaged red chairs for two pristine ones at Crate and Barrel. So, off I went, despite threats of rain.

I will digress here to add here that part of my need to get out of the house was related to the fact that Roger, my husband, is a college professor who has been home on vacation since December 16. I love him dearly. It's nice to have him around. But not ALL of the time. He's well aware (and won't be surprised reading this) that I have a strong need for alone-time, and that I start going stir crazy toward the end of vacations. I think he was grateful for the time alone, too.

Anyway. Since I was driving by San Rafael anyway, I figured I'd stop at Pumpkinseed and see what they had. (And maybe pick up more of that aqua dot stuff, since I love it and now know from searching the internet last night that it's not available.) I was good and parked 6 blocks away from the store, figuring that the walk would do me good. I hiked up the street, feeling virtuous...to find that Pumpkinseed is closed on Mondays. Sigh. I briefly entertained the thought of walking another block to Dharma Trading, to see the yarn...but I restrained myself. Aren't you proud of me?

Well, I had a good time anyway. Accomplished returns (imagine, a shopping trip where you come home with more money than you started with!) , and even remembered to use my "free merchandise" cards at April Cornell before they expired, so I got a gorgeous scarf for NO MONEY AT ALL.

And I treated myself to a gingerbread latte at Starbucks while I sat and read "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. (Now, there's an engrossing novel...About a high-school aged girl who is murdered, and narrates the story while looking down from heaven. It's lovely, creepy (for those of us who have kids especially, I'm thinking), poignant, thought-provoking.

I can't wait to sew the rest of my quilt together.

1 comment :

  1. I love the Lovely Bones and listened to it on cds while I made some quilt in the past.
    It is raining in IL on top of our deep dirty snow.
    I wish I was in California even in the rain.
    Mel

    ReplyDelete