Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A little paint, a little stitching...




I've made some good progress on the fuchsias.  You might remember I was bugged by a dramatic line in the lower right corner, between the quilt block part and the solid background.  Yesterday, I got out my acrylic paints and painted in some shapes.  I'm much happier with it now, even though I did manage to get a green blob of paint on the shoulder of my shirt when I put the paintbrush in my mouth briefly (so as NOT to get the paint on the quilt, of course), then turned my head and, as a result, jammed the paint end of the brush into my shoulder.  Sigh.  I am not a tidy artist.

Last evening, my Juki and I applied quilting, leaving the lattice strips unquilted.  I'm liking the result and will decide whether the quilting is done after I've had a chance to look at it more carefully.



I can't even say how delighted I am to have moved this piece to this stage.  I have had it on my mind for so long-- years, in fact -- wondering where to go from the bare fuschia blossoms I'd gotten done to that point.  So it feels like all that mulling and waiting was worthwhile, because I never would have gone in this direction if I'd pushed myself to finish it back then. 

6 comments :

  1. Wow.... it's turning out wonderfully. I love piecing with applique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The painted shapes make a perfect transition. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect. And the quilting looks devine. And now you will have an excuse to be really arty and paint the whole of your shirt. Go on, I dare you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diane
    Just saw that you became a friend of Rice's on FB, and had to look at your blog....nice! Do you remember me from years ago...rubber stamping round robin projects? I have found a few old friends...so nice!
    Martha Chabinsky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect. And that quilting is just divine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:38 PM

    I think the painting was a great choice and you've done a great job in making that line soften up a bit.
    :Diane

    ReplyDelete