Saturday, March 24, 2007
It's done! A deadline does work wonders for my production level. Although I've come down with a cold (and considered toddling off for an afternoon nap) I really wanted to have this done for tomorrow's workshop. Now all I have to do is think of a name for this. Any ideas?
I ended up satin stitching all around the flowery shapes, to emphasize the clean, curvy lines. I used the grid as a quilting motif and carried into the blank spaces, sort of irregularly. I do like the effect. (And it gave me a chance to practice starting and stopping more cleanly, at which I'm improving.) Here are a few detail shots:
I thought I'd show you how I played with different quilting options. Because I wasn't sure what I was going to do for quilting, I used my computer to try out different designs. I took a picture of the top and printed small multiples in a "contact sheet" type layout my photo software has. Then, I was able to draw on them and see how different quilting lines would look.
I find it very helpful to be able to SEE how the options look. It's a great way to try out all sorts of options.