Thursday, October 23, 2008

Making more mess by cleaning...


This is another "one thing leads to another" post. Does this happen to you, too? You set out to accomplish one chore, which creates another, and then leaves you with another... and suddenly you got one thing done and have 7 more to do.

Returning from PIQF with a bit (ahem) of fabric meant that, in order to put it away, I really had to deal with the Fabric Closet. This is a regular bedroom style closet (not, alas, a walk-in) in my small office/studio, and it had reached the point where something fell out at me every time I slid open a door.

So, I spent Monday folding and straightening and sorting and weeding out stuff I don't want any more. That picture up there is the CLEANED UP version. Don't snicker. It's about as good as it gets. And to make room and make it all accessible, I took out my Big Bin of Scraps and have yet to find another home for it.

I moved on to other pressing business, but meanwhile, the bin of scraps is sitting here on my office floor, looking like this:

Those blue plastic bags are those giant hefty bag things in which I have sorted dark strips, light strips, and blacks. It was a handy sort for one project at some point. Anyway, so every time I walk into my office -- about 20 times a day -- I see the Big Bin of Scraps and think, "I should do something with those."

I've been in a finishing mood (two old projects finished in the last two weeks! Yee haw! Pictures to appear when I figure out where to photograph the big beasties) and getting rid of scraps will feel good. (Is it possible to get rid of scraps in any way other than simply giving or throwing them away???) Last night I pulled out the wonderful book by Freddy Moran and Gwen Marston, and decided I'd make a bunch of "art parts" for assembly into something colorful and fun.

That's the plan for later today, after I put dinner in the crockpot, deal with another load of laundry, and take the dog for a walk. But in my morning blog-reading, I popped into Exuberant Color, to see that Wanda has been playing with her strippy scraps, too. Great inspiration to get moving!

3 comments :

  1. LOL! Isn't that the way it always is? Start cleaning up something, and then once your done, the mess have just moved to another place in your house :-)
    Good for you to get it done, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link, I had some new visitors to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It always gets worse before it gets better. You should see what MY place looks like -- and I have a studio elsewhere! You'd never know it.

    ReplyDelete