Friday, April 01, 2011

One Hand Clapping

Well, my plans for the end of the week took an abrupt turn.  On Wednesday afternoon I set out with Gemma (our lab/weimeraner mix) for a long walk, and when we were on our way home, two chihuahuas came yapping and charging across the street at us, Gemma got excited and in the process of trying to control her, I got tangled in her leash and fell over.  I did that instinctive thing of putting my hand out to break my fall -- and as a result, I have a VERY sore left hand, wrist and arm.

Luckily, nothing was broken -- I'm just a bit sore.  I'm discovering how limiting it is to not be able to grip my thumb to my forefinger!  (In fact, my friend who had thumb surgery tells me that doctors consider a hand to be 90% disabled if the thumb is hurt.) I'm told I'll be back to normal in a few days.

Anyway.  So much for the plans of starting a new art quilt and loading the car with boxes for the Salvation Army.  I did, at least, get to sit quietly and refine my sketches for the piece in my head. 

Today I'm off to have lunch with a friend.  I think I can manage my fork one-handed. 

6 comments :

  1. Falling isn't any fun, I've done it more than once. I'm glad your hand injury was not major, give it a rest and hopefully you'll be back to normal in a short time. And thanks for all the mentoring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! Diane---I'm so sorry to hear what happened, but I'm glad your wrist is not broken. And what did Gemma do? Lick your face! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear of your mishap. I hope you are back to art quilting in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry about your fall but so happy to hear that nothing was broken. Maybe you just needed a few days of down time. Give Gemma a hug and rest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rest the hand. Stay away from Chihuahuas. Bummer. You never realize how much you use something until you can't!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch! Hopefully your hand, wrist and arm are on the mend and you will be up to mentoring again real soon!

    ReplyDelete