Sunday, June 01, 2008

A Watery Day


It's "reveal" day over on the Twelve by Twelve blog for our latest challenge, on the theme "water." And all 12 quilts are already up! Once again, I'm amazed and delighted by the variety of directions people pursued, and impressed by the talent of these artists. They're gorgeous, all of them.

Mine is above, called "Music from Across the Water." I based the image on a photograph (with the artist's permission). I had grand plans to do this with reverse applique, but quickly realized how hard that would be for a 12x12 inch size. So, I opted to do it via painting.

First, I created a line drawing.

I laid white cotton over it (Hoffman's PFD pima cotton, actually) and started in with the Tsukineko inks.


I had a grand time painting... I just love these inks and the little pen applicator thingies that come with them.
Then I quilted, faced it, and voila.
I can't wait to find out what our next theme will be!

3 comments :

  1. I'll be letting you know very soon! (First I am going to savour the new quilts.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this piece! As I was going through all the 12x12 pics this one made me stop and look hard. You should do the reverse applique idea on a larger one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so very watery. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete