Sunday, June 14, 2009

Bee'in Busy



I don't know why I've had a hard time blogging lately. Too much to say, and too little, if you know what I mean.

So here are some of the things keeping me busy lately:

* Reading a great book right now: "Gone Tomorrow" by P.F. Kluge. A story in a story about a writer who becomes a professor at a small Ohio college. Written by a professor at a small Ohio college. The writing is fantastic and it's a wonderful exploration of the dreams of our youth and the realities of our lives. I've already requested other books by this guy from the library.

* With summer travels coming up and my reading pace on vacation, I decided I needed an Amazon Kindle so I won't travel with the bottom of my suitcase lined with books as I usually do. I love it already -- will not stop my library habit -- but it is wonderful to have masses of reading on one small tablet. On board for next week's trip to Boston: "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett and some Mark Twain short stories I've been wanting to read again, plus some Jane Austen.

* Home schooling has been great, but boy, people react strangely when you tell them you're home-schooling. I think I need to format some good stock answers for when people say weird things.

* I've discovered that the best way to get to know a camera lens is to just put it on my camera and KEEP IT THERE for a few weeks, so I'm forced to use it and only it. My macro lens was hard to use at first but I just kept it on the camera and now it's my favorite lens. Lets see if this works for the 50mm lens.

* I have fiber projects in the works, one even finished (and labelled!) that you haven't even seen yet because I don't have a wall big enough to hang it and photograph it well. Maybe I'll try the garage door one of these grey mornings.

* The annual bird nest is showing signs of life in the climbing vine next to the garage door. You'd think that Mama would have learned by now that it's not the most restful spot, as she flies out every time the door opens or closes. Plus there's that pesky woman with her camera trying to get shots of the eggs...

* Why do songs on my Ipod just up and disappear all of a sudden? I loaded a few Stevie Wonder favorites a few weeks ago, and today they're gone from the Ipod music library. Go figure.

see what I mean? Hardly gripping thought.

3 comments :

  1. Your photos are so nice and sharp with great colors and depth of field. What camera do you use? I'm in the market for a new one and am doing the research right now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having teh same issue with so much to write about and yet again, so little. How much of my "we went here, we saw that," do people want to read? As for your iPod, you might want to check your ratings and smart playlist "rules." I mostly listen to iTunes on my computer, so I'm not sure of iPod details, but for me, once something has played it disappears from the playlist (though still exists in the main library). The song reappears later based on how many stars I give it -- the more stars, the sooner it's back; the fewer the stars, the longer the wait. It's actually a great way to hear "Higher Ground" every day, but my Tom Jones singles more like once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you have become another person I am jealous of: I want a Kindle. LOL

    ReplyDelete