Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I love my design wall

You know how every once in a while you make a purchase that turns out to be just wonderful?  You hesitated at the time, but after a while you realize that you are SO glad you did it?

I feel that way about my portable design wall. (Shoot.  I don't have a picture handy, but you can see it here.  I remember spotting them at PIQF when "Cheryl Ann" first introduced them, and I remember standing with my friend and hemming and hawing over whether they'd be useful and whether they'd be worth the price.  I didn't buy one that day, but some weeks later got the opportunity to get in on a bulk order and I went ahead.

I sure am glad I did.

I use it at home more often than I would have thought.  I don't have a big design wall in my little office/studio, so when I'm laying out a large quilt, I set it up in the bedroom and work there.  Twice a year, I take it to quilt retreat and if I don't use it, I set it up and some one else will need it.  (At the retreat, the entire large room is lined with these large portable design walls.)

And this week, I brought it with me to Tahoe and I've laid out two large quilts whose pieces have been in the UFO pile for quite a while.  Designing the quilts and laying out the blocks in preparation for sewing is one of those fun tasks that takes time and space -- so I've spent several peaceful mornings just moving pieces around on the wall. I have my own funny numbering and stacking system so I can remove pieces from the wall and have them ready to sew for later.

So I've been appreciating my design wall this week, and thinking about how glad I am I bought it.

Do you have any item that brings those feelings to mind?

3 comments :

  1. Not a quilting thing but you remember when I was over with you I hummed and haaded (sp?) about a set of lime green measuring bowls that seemed quite expensive. Boy are those little bowls useful for so many kitchen tasks! I love them. I think D is getting fed up with me holidng them up and telling him how much I love them! And they always remind me of staying with you

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Kindle. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some years now, I've debated the value of the "Big Board" ironing board. I think eventually I will get one.

    ReplyDelete