Friday, September 30, 2011

What is this?


Does this look like a teabag to you?

I've been starting to experiment with digitizing my own machine embroidery designs.  And this is my very first one.  Why a teabag, you wonder?  Well, I have set myself the task of exploring the theme of tea in a series of small art quilts, and that led me to thinking about tea bags, which set me on a course of drawing them... and then I decided to turn a little sketch into something that could be embroidered repeatedly. 

It has some wonky aspects to it that need adjusting in terms of stitch density ... but does this say teabag to you?  Or does it just look odd? 

(My husband thought it was an iron.)

Inquiring minds want to know.

14 comments :

  1. I see someone wearing a sweater with no head! LOL But when you said tea bag, I could sort of see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw it as a tea bag instantly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first I looked at it and asked your same question "What is it?" Then when I read that it was a teabag I could definitely see it. But it didn't immediately scream teabag at me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also saw the teabag instantly and I loved the simplicity of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saw a teabag before reading the post. Do not see an iron at.all. (Sorry, R.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't see a sweater or an iron! Thanks for giving feedback, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a teabag to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw a teabag immediatley, too

    ReplyDelete
  9. I said "teabag" before I scrolled down and read the text.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nope, not a screaming teabag. If the tag were squarish, maybe. Once I read teabag, it was a teabag.
    Will there be any other items that would reference the teabag - a spoon, a tea cup, tea pot?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely see a tea bag, and indeed saw it right away, but then I drink a lot of tea! I think it's lovely.
    That said, I do think there are some opportunities here to refine your image. Someone else already mentioned the shape of the label. I might also look more closely at the top of the bag where it folds together and the string is attached, there may be some additional lines there, or the suggestion of the line shadowing through from the other side.
    This direction you are exploring is really cool - have lots of fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally reads tea bag to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought it was a purse with a long handle...and funny clip at the top...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a tea bag to me. Maybe you have to be a tea drinker to see it....

    ReplyDelete