Tuesday, October 21, 2014

They put a spell on me

 I'm usually big on holidays, but Halloween has never been one of my favorites.  I don't like to be scared for one thing, so I think as a kid I didn't like the spooky part of the holiday.  I also had a general suspicion of people on costumes as a kid, so that was another strike against it.

Still, I like the friendlier sorts of Halloween decorations, and back when Miss C was little I scoutd out some rather cute Halloween fabrics and made two -- yes, TWO  Halloween quilts which I've enjoyed having out in the Octobers since then.

Here's one -- wonky Halloween houses.  (Sorry for the blurry photo -- it's old.)


I made this at a retreat, and I remember that a friend gave me some pieces of a witch fabric so I could add a few witches to the scary neighborhood:


 
Here's the other, a wonky log cabin with strippy scraps: 


A few weeks ago, I was pulling stuff out of my quilt closet for a few UFOs I planned to finish while at a quilt retreat, and I came across the box of Halloween fabric left from those quilts.  I thought I'd bundle them up and bring them to the retreat to put on the give-away table as I figured that it was unlikely I'd be making any more Halloween quilts.  And then I started looking through the batch of fabric.  Gosh, I'd forgotten bow cute a lot of them were.  little candy corns on a bright blue background.  Dancing skeletons on an orange background.  Black and white ghosts all mushed together.  Green eyes on purple background... and those black cats on the orange...



You can guess what happened next, right?  I started planning a scrappy Halloween quilt and I spent the first day of the retreat cutting and piecing it.  And it makes me smile.  I put together triangles so they look like Halloween flags, as you can see from the peak abovve.

I'm just about to start machine quilting, and as it's small, that won't take long.


Funny how fabric can cast a spell and make you do something you didn't plan on doing!


No comments :

Post a Comment