Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Book Review: Color Splashed Quilts



"Color-Splashed Quilts" (C&T Pub. 2007) has just the sort of bright, happy cover that gets my attention. And this book is full of cheerful, colorful and easy quilts to make and to jump-start ideas for original creations. The premise of this book is to introduce quilters unfamiliar or intimidated about fusing to using fused applique to add fun to a simple pieced quilt.

And it does what it promises. Using charming simple shapes (frogs, fruit, flowers, dogs, etc), author Carol Burniston shows how the shapes can be fused, machine appliqued or hand appliqued to turn a basic quilt into a jazzy, happy one. There are a lot of good ideas here, and all the basics for simple applique.

Technique-wise, this book isn't for an experienced quilter. there's a reason I've used the word "simple" repeatedly. Still, this book provides good inspiration for making fun kid-friendly quilts, for example, or for making any simple quilt pattern your own with a bit of applique.

1 comment :

  1. I love the cover of the book. Looks like my kind of quilts--colorful. I bet it has a heart quilt pattern. I'm looking for one.

    ReplyDelete