Monday, January 14, 2008

Who was that masked man?

Finally! I had time this afternoon to actually touch my sewing machine and get a bit of creative work done. Feels like ages!

I have several small challenge projects due soon, so I tackled the one which had resolved itself into the firmest idea in my mind. The theme for the challenge is "mask," and while I considered various ways of interpreting it, I couldn't get the image of King Tutankhamen out of my head. And my friend Pat has been urging me to try playing with Jacquard's Lumiere paints, so I decided to go with that.

I found this very clear picture of King Tut's mask...


and with Photoshop reduced it to a line drawing.


I traced that, then stitched through the tracing paper to create quilting lines of the mask and its features.


Not very exciting, that part, and it took longer than I expected it would. Still, it was fun to break out the paints and I was having such fun that I forgot to take a picture until I'd painted all the gold and moved onto blue:


I was painting the paint on straight from the jar, so I think it was a good thing I'd done all the stitching already. The straight paint makes for a pretty stiff feeling fabric. But it was giving me just the effect I wanted, very thick and metallic.
And here's where it's ended up this evening:

I don't know whether I'll quilt in the background, or not, and there is the binding to do...but this was a fun and satisfying project. Hmmm, what else can I paint with sparkly paints?

10 comments :

  1. Anonymous12:25 AM

    Wow this looks amazing! (and, you know, chocolate sometimes comes in gold wrappers too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. Nothing else to say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen the quilts done by the woman who quilts the flowers and then paints them? I have always thought this would be a cool thing to try. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing. Aren't the paints fun? I think you should add some crystals too. There's nothing like a little bling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks very nice! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooo, will there be forthcoming blocks to accompany this one?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome!

    What kind of paint did you use? Did you need to use a resist?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used Lumiere paints by Jacquard -- I think they're essentially a liquid acrylic paint with irridesence, made for use on fabric. I didn't use a resist, just painted straight onto the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like so much fun. I'm definitely going to have to pick up some fabric paint!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like what you have done and appreciate you taking the time to post your process. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete