Saturday, January 03, 2009

My favorite novels in 2008

While I'm thinking about books, I thought I'd wrap up 2008 (I know, I know, but school isn't back in session yet so I can't seem to think of it as 2009 already) with a list of the best novels I've read this year. Some of them I may have mentioned already, but I'll list them again because I thought they were *that* good! And rather than try to describe them to you, I'll link you to Amazon where you can read summaries and see what you think. I truly enjoyed all of these books enormously and highly recommend them.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

The Likeness by Tana French

Hannah's Dream by Diane Hammond

There's No Place Like Here by Cecelia Ahern

The Sugar Queen by Sarah Addison Allen.

How to Be Good by Nick Hornby

How Elizabeth Barrett Browning Saved My Life by Mameve Medwed

Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos

Off Season by Anne Rivers Siddons

If you've read something that you've loved in the past year, please feel free to pass along the recommendation in a comment. I'm always looking for the next thing to read!

5 comments :

  1. I just read a book over Christmas week that was perhaps my favorite book of the last decade! It's a collection of short stories, but definitely reads like a novel as the title character appears in each story.
    The book is 'Olive Kitteridge', by Elizabeth Strout. I recommended it to several *big reader* friends and no one had heard of it. However, last week the Chicago Tribune named it as one of the best of 2008, so I guess it's a bit of a sleeper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the list! I read "Hannah's Dream" on your recommendation last year and enjoyed it thoroughly. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:42 AM

    I would recommend "Life Beyond Measure" by Sidney Poitier. It's well-written and interesting to see into his life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet you'd like The Lace Reader.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane, check out goodreads.com. You can hook up with other people you know and get their recommendations as well as list and rate your reads. I'd love to have you on my friend list.
    happy new year,
    jan

    ReplyDelete