Friday, January 02, 2009

Starting the New Year with Joy



A few days ago, we went to the zoo for the day. It'd been a few years since we'd been there, and we had a grand time strolling around, watching the animals, and taking pictures. Perhaps because I was armed with my camera, I found myself looking at things a bit differently -- and I started thinking that watching the people was actually more entertaining than watching the animals. It's certainly a great place to find a lot of smiling kids, that's for sure.

This one adorable little girl caught my eye as she was blowing bubbles with her grandma. I snapped a few pictures, and the sheer happiness on her face in this one just takes my breath away. So I've decided that this will be my "goal" picture for the coming year -- to remember to enjoy the moment, to let myself be surprised and delighted by the little things that happen each day.

I wish I could send this picture to this girl's parents, to tell them how much her spontaneous smile inspires me.

3 comments :

  1. I see what you mean - that's a lovely picture! Here's hoping that the New year is a happy one for all of us - let's remember to enjoy the happy moments and make them count!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful photo and a beautiful thought. And a good one to start this year, with all it's problems to be solved. I'm thinking of all the joy I would miss if I thought only of the coming year in terms of those challenges. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You definitely captured joy! Lovely ... :-)

    (I followed you here via flickr. Lovely photos!)

    ReplyDelete