Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Art with Needle and Thread


    I've been so discombobulated lately that I've not made much time for sewing -- but it's a good thing that I've had a few deadlines lurking because they have forced me to get to work!  This week, on October 1, we revealed our quilts on the theme "Maverick" over at Twelve by Twelve.  Click over to that blog and scroll down to see each of the responses -- they're all different, although two of the Twelves (Brenda and Nikki) worked on the "square peg in round hole" idea. As always, the creativity of the Twelves impresses and inspires me.

  Maverick was not an easy theme.  I went off in one direction and created a big, complicated mess that got worse the more I did to it.  Maybe I'll throw caution to the wind and post about it one of these days.  But in despair, I retreated to my very first "maverick" idea: that in the traditional art world, quilt artists are mavericks.  I decided to illustrate that by putting art quilt tools -- thread and needle -- among the more traditional art tools of paint brushes, palette knife, pencil, etc.

  It only struck me as I was working on it that using drawing to create the imagery in a quilting challenge is, in itself, a bit of an unconventional approach. 

  Now on to the next challenge, which will be on the theme "Sweet."  Hmmm.  Lots of possibilities there!

No comments :

Post a Comment