Thursday, February 02, 2006

The view from above



Here's a shot of my newest project in the works.

I had this idea in the middle of the night one night to use the aerial view of a landscape as the starting point for a quilt. This is based on an aerial view of my town, Healdsburg. That's the Russian River you see curving off there. Or, my artistic take on it, anyway.

I've done a few layers of fabrics to work with reverse applique. It's all sewn together, and now I'm satin stitching the edges, which is slow going because of all the tight curvy places. But I'm having fun with this and I'm liking how it's turning out so far.

7 comments :

  1. I love this! I am always challenged by how a piece wants to be quilted and I've wanted to do a series of map/landscapes with contour lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:00 PM

    This is WONDERFUL! I love the texture and the SPARK of that river... more, more, more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool...it looks like a park!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this. The ribbon of the Russian River really makes it. (darn, I tried to find a verb that started with an "r")...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:05 PM

    This is so cool. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is very arty! I like the fact that it is close up and not like the aerial stuff I have seen that looks like patchwork fields. You DO live in a gorgeous part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:22 PM

    This is probably THE best looking quilt I've seen in a long time!! Great work.

    ReplyDelete