Monday, October 24, 2005

In which I get good news

I am LEAPING around my office with glee.

I sat down at my computer this morning with dread, not to mention a queasy stomach and throbbing head. The queasiness was both literal and figurative: literal because we've all had some mild stomach thing this weekend where we don't want to eat and if we do we feel nauseated, and figurative because despite said literal queasiness I needed to make SERIOUS progress on a big old fat motion to scare the pants off the other side in a case I'm working on so we could get them thrown right out of court. And the throbbing head thing is because Caroline was up and down from bed all last night, complaining of various maladies (including itchy bumps, a stomach ache, wrinkly sheets, and other night-time disasters) so I didn't get much sleep.

Nevertheless, I poured myself a large cup of coffee, read my email, then figured I'd better call Bob the Wonder Boss before I dug in to see if there was anything vital I needed to know before I launched into work.

And LO, the angels are smiling on me because THE CASE SETTLED on Friday afternoon!

Hah! I'm happy, happy, HAPPY! Now I can go back to feeling queasy and sleepy with impunity. And with a child home sick from school, which means that the day won't exactly be fun and easy...but heck, at least I won't be trying to write the most brilliant and convincing summary judgment motion in the universe.

Things are looking up around here.

I love it when icky cases settle. And I'm not even the one getting the settlement cash.

4 comments :

  1. Well, I'd ask for a piece of the settlement!! You must have sent some esp motions that persuaded them - right. Hope you are feeling better by tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you all feel better soon! Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go on the case! I hope your stomach settles soon too. Stomach issues are the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:28 PM

    You are a hoot. I wish our case would work out like that. The jerk who SIGNED A CONTRACT to purchase our land has virtually disappeared. Have sent letters re: setting date for closing, and he has not responded. Next step is a letter from an attorney with a thinly veiled threat to take him to court for specific performance. Hopefully that will shake him up. If not, well, I get to keep the earnest money but that's small consolation when I should have over $40,000 in my hand. Sigh........I'm glad it worked out for you....hope you were able to go home and pull the covers over your head and get some peace & quiet!!

    teri

    ReplyDelete