Sunday, August 31, 2008

Too Good to Sleep



I was awake into the wee hours this morning, because I could not put down a wonderful novel: "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society." What a charming book -- well worth the lost sleep! It's a story told in letters, of people on the island of Guernsey in the English Channel during the period during WWII when the island was occupied by the Germans. They invent a literary society to explain why some of the residents are caught out after curfew one night, and then decide that they'd better read something if they're going to run a literary society. The novel reminded me of 84 Charing Cross Road (another wonderful story told in letters, about strangers who become friends through their correspondence about books).

I highly recommend it -- but don't start it before bedtime!

2 comments :

  1. Anonymous9:00 PM

    I read a mystery a couple of years ago that took place in Guernsey. Until then, I hadn't realized it was occupied by the Germans in WWII. This one goes on my next request list.

    Isn't it funny how the letter-writing device in literature always appeals? It's a delicious chance to read other peoples' mail--we're all nosy at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the tip. I saw a review of this and it's on my list too. 84 charing cross road is one of my favorite books, although I first discovered it after watching the movie with Anthony Hopkins and Anne Bancroft. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete