Thursday, March 11, 2010

Show and Tell

I was reading something recently about blogging, and referring to blogging as a modern day show-and-tell for grown-ups.  I think that's just about right.  No wonder I like blogging and reading blogs -- I always loved show and tell as a kid.

So here's my show and tell for the day:  I've been playing with Shiva painstiks this afternoon.  Actually, some time ago I bought a bargain bunch of the british Markal paintstiks on Ebay for a bargainous price, so I was using those.  They're strange items, those paintstiks---especially that tough outer skin.  But I'm getting the hang of using them, and today's assignment was to use a design inspired by a leaf shape, make a freezer paper stencil, and apply in some repetitive design on fabric. 

Here is my inspiration photo, of some tiny weed I photographed this weekend -- something about those whimsical leaf shapes appeals to me:


I made mirror image stencils:


And this was the result:


I'm not sure what I'll do with this from here ... Maybe I'll figure that out on another play day!

5 comments:

Gerrie said...

I like that. It almost looks like a batik print.

katyquilts said...

I like this too! The shape reminds me of Matisse's paper cuttings :). Cool!

Kristin L said...

Blogging as show and tell -- I think that works pretty well for me too. :-)

I haven't tried paintstiks on fabric yet. I can't get past having used them in art school more like giant crayons. They were admittedly much easier to clean up than the oil paints though.

Vicki W said...

Oh that looks fun! You are right, blogging is adult show-and-tell and I love that about it.

Deborah said...

Gerrie's right, it does almost look like batiik. Very nice!