Yesterday I spent some time working on a line study assignment for a course. The assignment was to choose a photograph that featured line as a strong element. Here's my photo:
Then, we were to use strip piecing to construct a design from the image; I did this:
And from there, I used reverse applique and machine quilting to get to this:
It was a fun assignment, and satisfying to get it done. It's funny -- I never thought I would find a realistic style of art an easy one, but it is the place I tend to go first -- it is stretching the realistic image into something abstract that is the challenge for me. Maybe I should try to take this and stretch it to something more abstract for my next mini-project...