Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Wonder-full fun

 

  This past weekend, I was in the mood to just play in my studio, so I did something I've been wanting to try.  I painted Wonder-Under!  It was fast and fun and only slightly messy.  I painted one side of Wonder-under with watered down acrylic paint, spreading it around and blending colors right on the surface of the W-U as I went.  Once it dried, I cut shapes out of it (paper and all) and ironed them to a piece of fabric I'd dyed some time ago.  The stripes just appear as the W-U dries and shrinks up a bit, causing the backing paper to wrinkle a bit.

The effect was quite different than I thought it'd be.  Once I peeled up the W-U backing paper (which was far easier when the shapes had cooled completely), the colors were vibrant.  And there's no sticky residue at all.  I just have to remember not to iron this with some parchment paper over the top.  
Stitching was fun and free and kept me going through the closing ceremonies of the Olympics. 

 

Hmmm, I'm going to have to play more with this.  By the way, I've not come up with a name for this yet, so if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

4 comments :

  1. It's so soft and serene! Did you paint the blue-ish parts on the background too, or place your WU to follow color that was already there? With the quilting that looks raked and the pebbly WU shapes, it's almost like a zen rock garden. The colors are meditative too. Maybe there's a title in there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving this!!! I like how you did the background quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting striations happen when you paint fusible webbing. I used this technique on my Twelve by Twelve identity-themed quilt - Lost & Found at Fromelles. I used the fusible webbing for the background but making smaller shapes as you have done seems even more effective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blue Beach, blue rocks, Pebble beach. Those names are what I see in your work. Which I love!!! I'm a "blue" person. It's a very warm, relaxing piece that draws you in. Nice!

    ReplyDelete