Sunday, June 12, 2005

Dyeing on a hot day



Recently, Robin of the blog "Quilt Antics" showed how she dyed fabric on the floor of her garage. Well, what a lightbulb moment for me! Here we have this nice big expanse of concrete on the patio just waiting to be used that way!

So, this morning it was clear that the day was going to be very hot and sunny. I figured it was the perfect day to try out this method. I headed to the hardware store, where I found this huge roll of black plastic (6 ft. wide by about 200 feet on the roll) for $11.99. I took the dyes I mixed from the last session out of the fridge, and Caroline and I had a grand time squirting dye onto fabric.

Her results (you cam probably pick them out -- she did 3) look more like splotchy tie-dye...Me, I had fun brushing dye around. I haven't yet been able to resist smearing my gloved hands around in it. Anyway, it was very fun. Next, I want to try Robbi Joy Ecklow's method of draping long lengths of fabric over a length of pipe or broomstick, to pour it down for a beautiful streaky effect. What a fun way to spend sunday afternoon!

5 comments :

  1. Looks like fun! I have got to try this and Robbi's method, too, And it was Robin Ferrier - Quilt Antics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to Gerrie, I was able to give credit to Robin for hitting the switch to this lightbulb! My original entry said I didn't remember where I saw this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so pretty ...those colors spread out like a buffet...I especially like the lattice shadows Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Fun for you and Caroline both! I have got to try this next month when I have some time off...Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! When the wind dies down I might try this... except then it'll probably be raining... Love the colours.

    ReplyDelete