Friday, July 29, 2005

Another Meme

Here’s another one of those "meme" things. I’m volunteering for this, after seeing it on one of my favorite blogs, Little Birds. Like Stephanie, I won’t officially "tag" anyone, but I’ll leave it to anyone who wants to pick it up and run with it.

10 years ago: Roger and I were newlyweds, living in Hopkinton, New Hampshire. I was working full time as a trial lawyer, immersed in a messy, massive property fight after a divorce. We were getting ready to head up to the wilds of Canada for a lake-side vacation at "Kenauk," a wilderness resort outside of Ottowa, where we had the funniest and one of the most fun vacations of our marriage.

5 years ago: Roger and I and Caroline (age 2 ½) had moved back to California, and were renting a nice suburban house with a great big backyard in Healdsburg. Caroline was about ready to start pre-school, and I was struggling with the transition from New Hampshire lawyer to full-time, stay-at-home wife and mom...which was not the easiest adjustment, to my surprise.

1 year ago: Roger and I were spending the summer working hard to landscape the backyard of our new house. Exactly a year ago, we’d just returned from a week in Lake Tahoe! Apparently we’re very predictable!

Yesterday: I spent most of the day sitting at the computer writing a motion for summary judgment. Not exciting, but productive. And not a bad penance for a lovely vacation. Had a refreshing dinner of cold chicken salad (with grapes in it! Yummers!) on pita bread.

Today: Played games with Caroline this morning, did laundry, pulled weeds in the garden, threw the ball for Gemma over and over, then went out to a Chinese food lunch with Roger and Caroline, then more laundry folding, tidying my office, getting ready to actually get to the sewing machine.

Tomorrow: A day for household errands, taking Caroline to her horseback riding lesson, taking Gemma to the vet to get antibiotics for an apparent case of kennel cough.

5 snacks I enjoy: chocolate, salty chips, chocolate, salty crackers, chocolate, and chocolate.

5 bands/singers to whose songs I know most lyrics: Loggins and Messina (and Kenny Loggins), Crowded House, Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel, James Taylor (is this dating me?!)

5 things I would do with $100,000,000: Buy a house on Nantucket, buy a house on a lake in the mountains, donate a hunk of money to our school district, buy Caroline a horse and make boarding arrangements, send money to an orphanage in China

5 locations I’d like to run away to: No need to run away– I have a great life! But I’d love to take long trips to Nantucket, London, Japan, Australia, and western Canada (Banff, Jasper, that sort of place)

5 bad habits I have: Procrastinating, starting projects and not finishing them, eating at my computer after dinner, not saying "no" when I should, spending too much time reading blogs and doing other fiddly, unproductive stuff at the computer

5 things I like doing: Watching Netflix movies with Roger, playing "Toontown" with Caroline, hanging out with my quilting friends, making quilts and fondling fabric, spending time with my sister

5 things I would never wear: A midriff-exposing top, clothes with lots of jewels or sequins, ruffly white eyelet, 5" heels, a tube top

5 TV shows I like: The West Wing, Gilmore Girls, Project Runway, the Apprentice, Simply Quilts

5 movies I like: Anything with Fred Astaire in it, The Purple Rose of Cairo, Local Hero, any Katherine Hepburn movie, Sleepless in Seattle

5 famous people I’d like to meet: Hmmm. No one comes to mind as a burning desire, but there are lots of fascinating people I’d enjoy talking to: Oprah Winfrey, T. Berry Brazleton, John Grisham, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Hilary Clinton

5 biggest joys at the moment: Sitting in the living room in the middle of the afternoon reading a novel, working on quilt projects, taking quilting workshops, listening to Caroline read outloud, sitting on the adirondack chair under the tree in the backyard and reading magazines

5 favorite toys: My Ipod, my computer, my Bernina sewing machine, my Juki (the fastest machine ever), my digital camera.

4 comments :

  1. I like this meme a lot! I ran across it on a different blog a while back and posted my slightly changed version a couple of weeks ago.

    If I hadn't already done a version of it, I'd have tagged myself! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hugging you hard for loving Local Hero.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the best memes...is that the plural. Feels like we are having a conversation with you...ya know like we just met and are learning about each other.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, I loved getting to read this! I hope you had fun being "it".

    ReplyDelete