Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Odds and Ends

I'm doing odd chores at present.

Yesterday, I blocked my Moon over the Mountain quilt. (This patch of sunlight really changes the contrast...I'll post a final picture when it's done so you can see the real colors).



I had a plan when I started to quilt this quilt, but as I started free-motion quilting, my quilting was denser than I'd originally planned. I was worried that I over-quilted this, which makes me realize how important it is to stitch on practice fabric before I really dive in. (If I'd done that, more than just a few lines of stitching to test the tension, I'd have realized I needed to leave more space.) Anyway, it looks fine now that it's blocked. Binding to follow.

I've also got custody of the Pointless Sisters' contribution to our guild's raffle. We've made an opportunity quilt called The Farmer's Market, and it landed in my lap for final binding and sleeve-installation. This quilt is stunning, I must say. One of our very talented members, Linda Morand, designed it and executed quite a bit of it, and coached everyone on using Shiva paint sticks and other fabric-painting tools. The quilt hasn't been officially revealed to the group yet, but I'll give you a few peeks...





Looks pretty good, huh?

So, it didn't need a binding, to my view, and I decided to put a facing on it. And that went fine, but I was a bit stumped on how to finish the corners. I hunted through my books, and searched the internet, and didn't find any good trick for how to get the corners nice and square and tight. I finally just winged (wung?) it and it looks fine.



But I'll bet there's a trick. If you know it, let me know!

So, today is prepping for a visit tonight from my mom and dad. I'll tidy the house, then go shopping for ingredients for dinner: shrimp creole pasta, salad, crusty french bread, and lemon coconut angel food cake. Yum!

2 comments :

  1. Anonymous7:55 AM

    The best directions I know of for facing a quilt are in the Reynola Pakusich book "Circle Play." I will lend you my book if you are interested.
    ann w

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:56 PM

    Eleanor Burns has a template for cutting mitered borders. It really is an easy technique. Also I use it for making mug rugs.

    ReplyDelete