Saturday, June 03, 2006

Bargains galore!

This morning, Roger took Caroline off for her riding lesson while I stayed at home to Get Things Done: laundry folded, house tidied and groceries bought for my sister's birthday dinner tonight (grilled swordfish!), maybe even a bit of legal work.

But my friend Lissa called, to tell me about a yard sale in her neighborhood she thought I might want to check out. "There's a ton of craft and quilt stuff," she said, "Even fabric dye."

Well, it was 3 minutes away...so I grabbed my wallet and was out the door.

And what a great find!

Look, it's Ruth McDowell's book on Symmetry! I've been wanting to own this book for a while but it's out of print, and even the used ones are a minimum of $35.



I scooped up a "Visions" book I hadn't seen, which will be great for inspirational browsing.



And this Design Essentials book by Lorraine Torrence (excuse the blur)...I've checked this out of the guild library a time or two but don't own it...and how could I resist at bargain yard sale prices?



And, because I want to get back to watercolor painting one of these days (ahem), I couldn't resist this book:



I snapped up two Dharma kits: the fabric dyeing one with Adrienne Buffington's out-of-print book. I have the book but I'll send it to my friend Silvia, who I know would want it...



And the Dharma kit on dye painting, with a book by Ann Johnston I don't have. Can't have too many dye supplies, right?



Oh, and there were unopened packs of Versatex fabric paint that Caroline and I can play with this summer.




I found a June Tailor ironing board in good condition, far better than my messy one that I've been meaning to throw away and replace... Plus one of these cutting line grid things which my friend Rita tells me is a "must have" if you like to use strips for things (which I do).



I couldn't resist the unopened packs of Fimo clay and pipe cleaners, both of which Caroline loves to use and we can't have enough of around the house.



Oh, and for my friend Janet? These:



She just LOVES Sunbonnet Sue. NOT. (But if she doesn't get the joke, I'll donate them to our guild library.)

Gee, I'd love to sit and look at these books and stuff. But back to cleaning.

12 comments :

  1. What a scoop! I'm looking forward to playing with similar fabric paints when my 10 year old friend Maggie comes to stay at Christmas time

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man what a load of bargains, good hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHMYGODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!! YOU HIT BANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Design Essentials book is out of print and use to run for over a hundred at Amazon dealers...I found one 2 yeas ago for 15 bucks in Paducah. The Ann Johnston book is also out of print!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You hit the MOTHER LODE! What a great yard sale! I have had the Design Essentials book for a number of years now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous find!!

    If Janet doesn't appreciate the joke, may I buy the books from you? My mini group has a running joke about SBS...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yowza! What a find. Who was this person with all those goodies? Who would give up all that great stuff? Wish I could be there when Janet gets her SBS goodies!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a great load!!!! I never find goodies like that at yard sales around here :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a haul! I am tempted to have a quilter's garage sale this summer, but that would require admitting that I will NEVER USE THIS STUFF AGAIN.

    maybe I will do it on the blog, and then I won't have to clean up my garage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stuff! I have had the Ann Johnston book for years and use her "recipes" in that book for dying all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why don't we have yard sales here in UK?

    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy cow! It's like Christmas in June!

    ReplyDelete