Thursday, June 08, 2006

A little light reading...



So, you want to know what I've been doing lately? See above.

I kid you not. This is actually a pile of documents from one case that just settled, so I was able to take them out of my file drawer... To replace them with a similar stack of paper on a new case.

My job on this one is to read everything, sift through to identify the "important facts" and then research to see what types of legal claims would be supported by these facts. It's sort of like a really long exam question, now that I think of it. And really, it's pretty interesting. I feel like a detective, putting bits and pieces together.

It feels endless, though. So today I am taking a break but still finishing an important legal task.

As in most professions, lawyers are required to do a certain amount of legal education annually. The reporting year for my bar association ends on June 30, which means I have to finish up my continuing legal education credits. Through the wonder of modern technology, I can view programs online AND download "podcast" seminars! So, this morning is dedicated to listening to an online seminar on evidence. Luckily, my sewing machine is about 5 feet from my computer. So I can sew and listen to the seminar at the same time.

Legal education has never been so enjoyable.

5 comments :

  1. That must be cheating! Multi-tasking fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:55 PM

    This winter I discovered the pleasures of getting my CLE credits on line whilst sitting before the fire and knitting.

    I LOVE the web!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:08 AM

    I have done my CME's on line for years. Only problem is it seems to encourage procrastination.

    Diane, this is what I used to do for medical records on accidents (auto no-fault and worker's comp) and then write my reports (with citations) to tell all parties what the injured person (ah yes, avoid the word victim) needs, why and where I recommend they go. Sigh, I miss the money but not the court time....especially the time spent sitting, waiting, and waiting, and waiting......

    teri

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOLY COW!!! Better you than me, babe! Please tell me there are pictures??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your multi-tasking the sewing and the listening together but I thought I should pass on a warning - someone somewhere was recently complaining about how they didn't have their online credits for these CEU show up even when they had taken the courses and it was a big nightmare for them to sort out. So, forewarned is forearmed, make sure you follow through and make sure the credits are applied.

    Oh, and I love those veggie prints. I haven't allowed myself to buy any because I DO NOT NEED ANOTHER PROJECT, but oh, the temptation! Your diamond design is great with them.

    ReplyDelete