Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The workshop came to me...



Oh, there were so many things I should have been doing this afternoon. Instead, when Roger took Caroline off to the local pool for a bit late this afternoon, I decided to settle down and watch this Ricky Tims DVD. I've had it on my self for ages, but as I've been on a machine-quilting kick, it seemed timely.

And, I must say, it was quite terrific. I learned a lot... some interesting tips for marking quilt designs (which I'm not eager to do, but at least his techniques made things look pretty easy, or at least effective once you decide you want to do a design that requires marking), some good tips for dealing with ending and beginning threads, and a very nice binding technique that is all by machine and adds a tiny thin piping. It was well worth the time and money, and I believe I'll watch this again to try some specific things.

This would be especially good for anyone who is somewhat uncertain about machine quilting...Good ideas for exercises and practice on getting stitch length consistent. We all know that IS just a matter of practice and attention, but he had some good ways to experiment with different stitch patterns.

So, now I'm eager to get back to my spring fields quilt top. Not sure if that'll happen tomorrow-- I'm on "active/on call" for jury duty and am supposed to call in at 11:15 and be able to be there by 1pm if necessary tomorrow! I'd love to be on a jury, actually, so we'll see what happens.

No comments :

Post a Comment