Saturday, January 14, 2006

Snowy night

Finally, finally, finally... I've started a project!

I announce this as if it's big news, even though STARTING projects isn't the issue for me. Ahem. It's that pesky finishing thing.

Still, I've lamented here lately that I've been feeling sluggish and not in the mood to work on anything. This is where having a specific deadling looming helps me.

In my Practical Design workshop with Marilyn Felber, we have been challenged to make a quilt on the subject of "house" and its "setting." Our next meeting is January 24, so I decided that I'd better get going if I was going to have something to show at that meeting.

I've had the basic idea for a while. I've long loved the prints of Vermont artist Sabra Field. I love how her landscapes are dramatically simplified, reduced to their austere basics with bold color and clean lines. In fact, I've realized that that represents what I'd like to work further... Very stylized landscapes, clean lines, graphic bold impact, strong color, and a sense of serenity.

So, I made sketches and pulled fabrics, and I'm well on my way. I'm working pretty directly from a Sabra Field pallette in this one, to put a small house in a night-time snowy scene. I've got all blue fabrics, except for some warm golds for the lighted windows.

I like how it looks so far, and I'm excited to get back to work on it tomorrow. With so many deep blues, I'm not even going to try to work on it more tonight!

Pictures soon!

And despite my best hopes, it's not making itself as Melody's quilts apparently do! She has trained her fabric and supplies very well, apparently! Mine are badly behaved, and all they do while I'm out of the studio is jump around and make a big mess! I leave my sewing area neat and tidy ALL the time, truly I do! It's the fabric's fault that the room always looks a mess!

2 comments :

  1. Your fabrics must be related to my fabrics. :-/

    YAY you for starting something quilty! Looking forward to seeing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:07 PM

    Why did you have to remind that I have so many things I want to do other than work on the house. Boo hoo!

    ReplyDelete