Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Snowy Night



I finished my snowy night quilt. That's not the final name, however. I'm not sure what the final name is. When I approached making this house quilt, I wanted it to be about the concept of "home" and the warmth of home. I'm fairly pleased with how this quilt conveys that, as the lighted windows conjures up a pretty strong feeling. In me, anyway.

(By the way, this really is symmetrical and square...I think I tilt the camera funny when I photograph things on my design wall, probably from being crammed back against the closet and sewing table to get a proper distance!)

But I'm not as satisfied with the flat look of this. I chose very flat looking fabrics, so that's clearly why this is the result. In person, the quilting adds a lot more texture and that helps a lot. You can see a bit in the detail here.
snowy night


Anyway, this was a fun challenge and I was happy to present it to the workshop group.

7 comments :

  1. I love it, Diane. And the quilting looks just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:38 AM

    I love the flat look. There was an artist in NC that was fairly well-known - Claude Howell - he purposely did flattened landscapes. I have a print of one of his paintings. I really love the feel of it - slightly more abstract - but not totally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This quilt so strongly conveys the welcoming sense of home. The snowy night looks beautiful but COLD, the little cottage glows with warmth. Love the quilting too. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like is. The simplicity. The blues. Really nice piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this quilt! It is flat, but at the same time you've created great depth with the dark background. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this quilt! It is flat, but at the same time you've created great depth with the dark background. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:25 PM

    and Award winner if ever there was one. Very nice work!

    ReplyDelete